Friday, April 15, 2011

Jesse Chavez trying to work his way back to the big leagues

(Photo: Omaha Storm Chasers)
Jesse Chavez has been one of the solid components of the Omaha Storm Chasers bullpen this season. He hasn’t allowed any runs so far in 5.1 innings of work.

The 27-year-old righty hasn’t been in the minor leagues since he pitched for Indianapolis in 2008. Since then he’s seen time at the major league level for Pittsburgh, Atlanta and Kansas City where he’s posted a 6-10 record with a 5.09 ERA in 139 relief appearances.

He found out toward the end of Spring Training that he didn’t make the big league club, so he would be starting the season in Omaha.

“It’s tough,” said Chavez on the Omaha Storm Chasers pre-game show a couple of nights ago with Mark Nasser. “Nobody wants to get sent down when they’ve been in the big leagues for an extended period of time.

“You get the feeling like you’ve really established yourself. Granted, the numbers weren’t as good as I wanted them to be last year – two different organizations, trying to do too much maybe. Not an excuse, but I still have got to get the job done and I didn’t and I’m here. I’ll try to work my way back now.”

After he came over to Kansas City with Gregor Blanco and Tim Collins in a trade with Atlanta last July in exchange for Rick Ankiel, Kyle Farnsworth and cash considerations, Kansas City pitching coach Bob McClure tinkered with Chavez’s arm angle. Chavez now delivers the ball from a three-quarter angle.

“At first I told Mac that for me to get the hang of this, I’ve got to [pretend] like I’m throwing to a base. No pitcher throws directly over the top [when they] throw to a base. They always drop down and try to guide it in there when they get a come-backer or are fielding their position.

“I threw three bullpens (with the new arm angle) and I adapted really well. I’m down in the zone a lot more and my ball is running and sinking a lot better.”

Chavez said the guys in the bullpen have come up with their own competition to push each other to be better. So, what areas of the game are they competing against each other in?

“The basics you get taught,” Chavez said. “You don’t want to walk guys with two outs. You don’t want to have an 0-2 walk. Just little things like that. My philosophy is, get in and get out in 10 pitches or less. The more you do that, the more your defense isn’t out there standing, waiting around.”

Thanks to Mark Nasser and the Omaha Storm Chasers for permission to use portions of Nasser's interview with Chavez.