Monday, June 21, 2010

Nomar Garciaparra is glad to be back in Omaha

Nomar Garciaparra is familiar with Rosenblatt Stadium. In 1994, he played for Georgia Tech in the College World Series and they made it all the way to the title game (back when the title was decided by just one game) before losing to Oklahoma.

Sixteen years later, the six-time All-Star and two-time AL batting champion is back in Omaha – this time as an ESPN color commentator. Garciaparra recently retired from the game and he jumped at the chance to come back to Omaha.

In fact, it was his idea.

“When I knew I was going to work for ESPN, I asked them, ‘Is there a chance I could work the College World Series?’ because I loved my experience I had here back in ’94,” Garciaparra said. “I knew what the environment was like. It was so fun. It really left me great memories. It’s good to come back.”

One young boy, 9-year-old Nicholas Cary, is glad Garciaparra came back. Garciaparra is one of Cary’s favorite former major league players. Cary’s father is deployed overseas and the military arranged for Cary to play catch with Garciaparra (click the link to view video of the event), who said that is was just a small gesture for what the military is doing.

So, does Garciaparra have a favorite memory at Rosenblatt Stadium from his playing days?

“You know, really, it’s not just so much the stadium itself as a figure, but really it’s just the city and the way the city embraces it,” Garciaparra said. “I tell people I’m very lucky. I got to play in the big leagues. Not everybody gets that luxury and is fortunate enough to play there.

“Since I’ve been able to have that, I can tell people that the closest thing to being a big leaguer is the College World Series. That’s the way it feels. You see the environment. You see the way city goes out there. And the way they make you feel – you get recognized as a college player when you go to different restaurants and different places, it’s a great experience.”

Proving that he knows Omaha, he still remembers what he used to order in restaurants.

“I remember having a steak, obviously,” Garciaparra said. “You have to have a steak in Omaha.”